Saturday, March 20, 2010

Back at home

I had an interesting experience this week. I got fired. For the first time ever. From a job that I held for exactly one week. This was a job working as a receptionist/administrative assistant in a doctor's office, as I mentioned in my previous post. And it wasn't what I wanted to be when I grew up. I know now that I definitely did not want to be that in this particular doctor's office. The truth is, when I left work on Wednesday, I wasn't feeling great about the job. When I left work on Thursday, I was feeling even worse. And when I was driving in on Friday, I actually told my mom that I had a feeling I was about to be fired. Sure enough, 30 minutes later, I was driving home in tears.

That said, the tears didn't last long. And I'm not sure what the tears were really about, beyond that I'm a crybaby and will cry at pretty much anything. The doctor's wife was the office manager, and without going into too much detail, she was not a very nice person. She came across that way initially (or I would not have taken/been so excited about the job), but by Thursday I had come to realize that she was a poor teacher (important when you are training someone in a new job), extremely impatient, and had very high expectations. Almost unrealistic expectations. Apparently I required "too much babysitting" for her.

Fortunately for me, I have a wonderful daughter who I get to stay home with again, at least until I find something else, and a terrific husband who was very understanding about the whole situation. (Perhaps because he didn't want to deal with a sobbing mess for a wife at every waking moment, but maybe not.)

So for now, I'm going to be thankful that God got me out of that office that would have tortured me for as long as I allowed it, and pray that a better opportunity comes along.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kat!! Oh my!!! I'm so sorry...but I am so happy that you aren't having to work for that horribly mean person anymore!!! :( Keep your chin up girly...you are more than they deserve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry soul sista!! You are too good for them!! They will regret letting you go but you are right, God has something better!! I wish you were in Dallas!!

    ReplyDelete