Saturday, August 29, 2009

Plagues

I have been meaning to talk about this for a few days, but with all that has been going on, I've had to just keep chewing on it.

THe other night when Chad got home from work, I watched him trying to unlock the door. To watch, one would have thought he was drunk, or else had no idea what he was doing. He couldn't fit the key in the lock, he was bent way over like he couldn't see to get the key in the lock, and he kept bobbing and weaving. I finally decided to go over and unlock the door, and just as I did, he got it open. He came rushing in, and right in front of him was this THING. It was huge, buzzing, flying, and suddenly, it was on ME. I had no idea what it was, so I just slapped the thing away and squealed.

I stunned it to the ground, and upon closer inspection, realized it was a cicada (aka locust). Growing up, I have heard these critters all summer, seen their exoskeletons on trees (even collected them as a child), but rarely have I seen one living. And I have never been attacked by one. Chad claims that there were two, and that the other one was the one that was dive bombing him as he tried to unlock the door, apparently in order to distract the other guy. Sadly, he came to an early demise at the sole of Chad's shoe.

Funny story, then when we went to bed I started thinking about locusts. Specifically, plagues of locusts. My biblical knowledge is not what I would like it to be, but I do know that there were 7 plagues on Pharoah before he let the Israelites go. Some were frogs, boils, water to blood, and locusts. I can't remember the rest at the moment. Let me say, I like frogs. Probably not by the thousands, but they're pretty cool in my book. I have a friend who had ONE boil not too long ago, and she was in terrible pain from it, so I don't think I'd like those. Water to blood, ew. That's all I need to say.

I never really thought about the locust plague til the other night, and I have to say, I think that would be pretty nasty. Those things are sticky like june bugs, only 5 times as big. Enough of them flying around fast enough, they could leave bruises. And I shudder to think about what they could do tangled up in hair like mine. Ergh. And back when Pharoah was refusing to release the Israelites, they wore those long robes. Can you imagine the jumping around that must have ensued from those giant flying bugs getting up your skirt???? Might be quite comical to see, not so fun to experience.

I guess I am just trying to make my readers think about the plagues. Put your self in the Egyptians' sandals for a moment. And then do everything that you can to please God. He might just decide to do it again. (Read Revelation, He's promised that He will....)

1 comment:

  1. ok, so you are keeping up with this blog pretty well after all :)....and being pretty honest, real and reflective....which of course makes me want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete